Jami sent a link to The Perfect Nose blog which regularly offers free downloadable books. These books were published in the 40’s and 50’s and their copyrights weren’t renewed, therefore making them public domain. She’s generous enough to scan them, crop and edit them so we can all enjoy those books.
This week she uploaded Dress Design Draping and Flat Pattern Making by Marion S. Hillhouse and Evelyn A. Mansfield. This book (340 pages) was first published in 1948, but is still very good. The process of pattern making has not changed, it is the fabrics that have changed. Read more about the book here, the download link is at the bottom of the page.
Other books (“Friday freebie”) offered by The Perfect Nose:
- Fundamentals of Patternmaking for Women’s Apparel (Book 1: Foundation Patterns) by Esther Kaplan Pivnick (published: 1955)
- Fundamentals of Patternmaking for Women’s Apparel (Book II: Style Patterns) by Esther Kaplan Pivnick (published: 1958).
- Lingerie Patternmaking and Grading Simplified: A Manual for the Student and the Worker by Jack Kirschner (published: 1950)
- Precision Draping by Nelle Weymouth Link
- Pants: How to do your own measuring, pattern drafting, fabric selection, cutting, and sewing for a perfect fit by Anna Romaniuk and Ellen Knight (published: 1974) (previous blog on PlanoASG)