Good Morning Needle Nuts!
The May meeting (May 20th) will the first meeting to begin the process of making the ‘Wedding Stole’. Of course, this beautiful wet felted shawl can be worn other than to a wedding.
Saturday the 4th, Louise Schubert, gave us a wonderful demonstration on the basic process of needle felting. We learned so much!
Here is the fiber materials list, so if you wish to join us in this project, you can begin to accumulate materials.
Materials list for the Wedding Stole
- 80g. of 64 Merino Roving (the main material for the shawl. Suggested in white or cream, you would be able to dye it or use natural, of course, you can make this any color you wish) Buy at least 4oz. of one color,or if using two colors, 2 oz. of each color, etc.
- 9 1/2 yards of 1″ wide lace ( this can be lace yardage cut into 1″ wide strips and sewn together to make 9 1/2 yards )
- 1 yard of another style/pattern narrow lace
- 3 yds of 1/2″ wide selvage from fabric or a metallic ribbon ( in this pattern sample this is the ‘blue’ in the wedding shawl)
- 9 1/2 yards of 3/8″ wide hem lace ( the old polyester packaged hem lace)
- 3 yards of 1 1/2″ wide silk, satin or organza
Louise strongly prefers natural fibers and suggested using a fine textured lace in cotton, or at least some natural fibers in it. So, the 3/8″ polyester packaged hem lace would not be the best, she suggested a natural fiber lace, or you could use a rayon seam tape or silk ribbon would be luxurious.
She also suggested weaving in cheese cloth, which is cotton, or you could use silk velvet. Cheese cloth and silk velvet can be dyed any color. These would also make great textures in the shawl. Louise suggested cutting the velvet on the bias and if you are cutting lace into strips, also cut on bias.
Basically, we will be weaving the roving, laces, ribbon and yarns etc. together, and then next step is wet felting. Time and place TBD. This will be a great project.
I will send out the other items needed for the May meeting by the end of the week. Email me if you want to join the Needle Nuts mailinglist. These will include, bubble wrap, swim noodle, bamboo mats and tulle.
I know this is alot of info, please let me know if you have questions.
Get ready for fun and learning!